The Promise of Human Regeneration: Forever Young | 2018
SYNOPSIS: From lab-grown organs to tissue engineering, regenerative medicine holds the potential to deliver eternal life. How close are we to this new future of human health? Developmental biologists, biomedical engineers, regenerative scientists, and physicians for a riveting exploration of the current and future state of regenerative medicine.
PARTICIPANTS: Dany Spencer Adams, Stephen Badylak, Jonathan Butcher, Doris Taylor
MODERATOR: Emily Senay
Original program date: JUNE 1, 2017
WATCH THE TRAILER: https://youtu.be/XeqkytBCaKU
WATCH THE LIVE Q&A: https://youtu.be/e0vKOYQUmgg
FULL PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: Synthetic blood mass-produced to meet supply shortages. Livers and kidneys “bioprinted” on demand. Missing fingers and toes re-grown with a jolt of bioelectricity. Regenerative medicine promises to do more than just treat disease, injuries, or congenital conditions. It holds the potential to rejuvenate, heal, or completely replace damaged tissue and organs. If successful, regenerative medicine will have immense impact on how we care for the injured, sick, and aging — and how we think about death. This program will explore mind-boggling medical advances as well as the societal and economic implications of a future in which everybody may truly be forever young.
MORE INFO ABOUT THE PROGRAM AND PARTICIPANTS: https://www.worldsciencefestiv....al.com/programs/wire
This program is part of the Big Ideas Series, made possible with support from the John Templeton Foundation.
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for all the latest from WSF
- Visit our Website: http://www.worldsciencefestival.com/
- Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/worldsciencefestival/
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/WorldSciFest
- Forever Young Introduction 00:00
- Participant Introductions 3:55
- What is being worked on in the field of human regeneration? 5:35
- How do you make a heart? 9:43
- Growing nerve endings 16:38
- The future of using the human genome 24:41
- What are the near term benefits of human regeneration? 34:44
- Electrical signals will be the first step in unification 46:07
- Bringing extinct species back 53:27
This program was recorded live on 6/1/17 and has been edited and condensed for our YouTube channel. Watch the original full livestream here: https://youtu.be/hpirEv3PRvA